WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMON, BAKE A LEMON PIE!
The famous Lemon Pie
Lemon Pie (Tarte au Citron) is one of my favorite dessert and you can imagine that with 3 different steps to create the true delicious Lemon Pie, it took me times to find the perfect gluten and dairy free recipe. The proportion are for around 7 baby Lemon Tartelettes (your french will improve by reading me) or for one whole Lemon Pie.
For the pastry:
- 250g of gluten free mix flour
- 2 Eggs
- 60g dairy free butter/margarine
- 60g Almond powder
- 60g of Brown Sugar
- 1 lemon zest
For the lemon filling:
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 lemon zest
- 40g Sugar
- 30g dairy free butter/margarine
- 3 Eggs
For the meringue:
- 60g of Icing Sugar
- 3 Egg whites
Turn on the oven and let's the baking begin:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and start the preparation of the pastry. Before mixing everything together I will advise to make sure you leave the butter and eggs to room temperature before using it. In a bowl mix the gluten free flour, the almond powder and the sugar. Then cut the dairy free butter over the flour, almond and sugar and whisk it or use your hands to rub it. Now it should looks like if you were making a Crumble. You can now add the 2eggs to the mixture and combined everything together. Finally grate a lemon and add the zest to the pastry. It will give a nice lemon touch to the pie. I would advise to choose organic untreated lemons especially for the zest - tasty but also healthy!
2. Now you've knead the dough in a beautiful little ball, cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20min. As the pastry is greasy more you mix it more it makes it fragile.
3. Take out the pastry from the fridge and depends of your pie tin (adhesive or not) cut a piece of baking paper, with a handful of gluten free flour and roll the pastry. Line the pie tin with baking parchment, prick the pastry with a fork and fill with ceramic baking beans or dried beans/chickpea. Bake at 180°C for about 10 minutes, then remove the beans and cook for about 5 minutes until it's turn golden. Two possible techniques, you can put your pastry between two pieces of baking paper or straight into your pie tin. The baking paper avoids the beans to leave a trace, I would especially advise it for a whole pie. Set aside the pastry.
4. Lemon filling time: First take the juice of 3 lemons and keep the zest of one. Mix the sugar and the lemon zest in a saucepan. Add the lemon juice and the 3eggs and whisk everything over medium heat. Never stop whisking. Takes out the sauce pan and add the butter. Cook on medium while constantly whisking until it look thick enough. When the lemon filling is ready, you can poor it on the pastry. And let it cool down.
5. You can stop the recipe here or create the meringue to finish your lemon pie. Place the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Turn on the mixer on medium and beat until it double. Then add in 3 times the sugar while still beating. Put your mixer on the maximum speed until the meringue looks glossy. Place the meringue on the lemon curd. To cook the meringue the best way is to use a kitchen blowtorch. Otherwise, pre-heat your oven at 240°C, and bake your meringue until it turns brown. Keep an eye on your oven as it can burn really quickly.